Inspired by the Malay style cooking of the South Indian Malabaris, we've combined fragrant cinnmaon, cloves and our own aromatic Garam Masala with red lentils, creamy coconut, a zesty kick of fresh lime, and mild red chillies to make this meal an intensely flavoursome scoop of nourishing enlightenment!
One of our most popular blends and very versatile. Try sprinkling it over sweet vegetables such as carrots and roast or cook in Vichy or buttery style - beautifully delicate.
Made in Ireland.
Recipe on sachet developed by Green Saffron(Serves 6-8 people)
250g, 8oz red lentils
120g, 4oz white onions, peeled, chunky diced
240g, 8oz red onions, peeled, finely diced
30g,1oz ghee or butter or 3 tblsp vegetable oil
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or blitzed
1 red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped (alter according to your heat tolerance!)
90g, or 3 fat inches ginger, grated or blitzed with skin on
400ml, 14floz or 1 tins tomatoes, chopped
1tsp sugar (optional)
200ml, 7floz or ½ tin coconut milk
300ml, 10floz heated vegetable stock (or water)
Juice of 1 lime
Coriander, finely chopped
How to make your meal:
1. Soak the lentils for about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the ghee, butter or oil in a large casserole dish or saucepan on medium and sweat the onions, garlic, chilli and ginger together.
3. Next, add the packet of Red Lentil Dahl Spice Mix and fry for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the tins of tomatoes, sugar and coconut milk and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Rinse the red lentils well and add to the pot. Simmer, adding the stock (or water) bit by bit as it’s absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent it from sticking. Cook on a medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Stir in the lime juice, sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve immediately …simple!
Serve with mounds of Indian Basmati rice and riata or Indian breads.